Friday, August 08, 2008

Triathlon, Art and Appendicitis

Cycled to the gallery this morning on my Planet-X carbon fibre supercharged triathlon beast. Its a shame but I haven't been on it much - its such a good bike and amazing for races but not the best with my jeans, flat cap (helmet was in the studio) and brogues. My feet keep slipping off the Look clipless pedals. 

Since the appendicitis if I haven't already told you (I've been boring everyone for a year now) - I did a Half Ironman ( 1.9km swim, 56mile cycle, Half marathon) and all the training with a leaking appendix it then decided to finally give up after the race - I came over the line crying like a baby. I didn't realize of course but had been ill with it for about 2 years.

I got a prize for the first local male (there was only 3 of us and one dropped out) but I went from ironman to wet lettuce. I was so green and I felt so sick afterwards. The cycle part of the race was giving me such a sore leg that I couldn't wait to stand and start running. Of course it was my appendix complaining. Anyway still troubled with it - I've cut down on milk, starchy bread and meat and its helped a lot.

6 weeks after the race they finally found this septic mess and I had the afore mentioned problem removed. I've called it Simon as I think it was actually my twin that had been growing inside me.

Therefore I feel wasteful - expensive bike with little use and a body that fatigues so easily - artwork has suffered and everything I made during my post operation has nearly been chucked as it is just not up to standard.

It was good to use it this morning as my commuting machine has no wheels as all the spokes fell out when I was cycling along just coming up to Wade's Bridge. The salt from the road (winter's curse for cyclists)had eroded where the spokes were mounted and they just pinged out. Funny as I had my ipod on and could hear a faint flapping noise that turned out to be my wheels crumbling beneath me. 

Anyway I've lost a morning talking to my blog/therapy. This was supposed to be devoted to the work of Stuart Duffin (shown above) as he's a genius and he's having an exhibition at the gallery - great news...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey ryan,

really sorry to hear about your health troubles. what a bother. hope you are on the mend. btw, nice site, and great work. hope you and the Deborah are well.

rick andrew

Unknown said...

Hey Ryan
Bruce White here. Good to see you at Robbies show last friday. Your website is interesting. Will def come up for a visit sometime. Listening to Foy Vance as I am sending this. So just wanted to drop you a line
See you sometime
check out my band 'the bru'( project with the attic young people )on our myspace and come to our fundraising gig if you are free:www.myspace.com/thebrumusic
Bruce